Caught behind but not out!

Saturday, June 24, 2006

PMS a.k.a. Post movie watching syndrome

Coming to the US, I have developed this insurmountable urge to watch at least four movies a week. I must pat my back to the commendable job that I have done so far. I have managed to meander my way past tons of crap that loom in the background of some great movies that I have watched. My most recent movie is Garden State. A sweet, feel good, coming of age movie. I wonder if the following post has ideas inspired by PMS (post movie watching syndrome). I think I should make this term official. Copyright it! Perhaps.

And as it comes in writing, its time to intersperse the random thought that projects out of my mind. I think about story telling and about how as little kids we used to listen to stories being told. Some of them happy, some of them sad. It really mattered who told us the story. Its not so different when we grow up. We still listen to stories, we read them and we watch them. And it still matters as to how the story is being told. I maintain the belief that there are very few stories in the world and in some way or the other we have watched everyone of them. What really matters is how the story was told. We carry, if I may use a word as harsh as this, the scars of childhood in many aspects of our life. I wonder then how people grow up. As Johnny Depp, who plays the writer J.M. Barrie in the fabulous movie Finding Neverland, remarks, "You are grown up now". The story of Peter Pan written by J.M. Barrie is said to have marks of being autobiographical. I take Barrie's side and wonder what it is to be grown up. Is it something you realize when it happens? Sounds a lot to me like sex.

Somehow I have always felt that people take the act of growing up too seriously. When you grow older the one thing that happens is that your toys get a lot more expensive! We still quarrel, of course we do so within the legal framework we draw up for ourselves. Have strong opinions, likes and dislikes. I truly wonder if life carries a very limited set of patterns much like the very few stories that exist in Hollywood. Perhaps it would be a lot less complicated if we all thought of ourselves as little children.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home