Caught behind but not out!

Thursday, June 22, 2006

The rants of a Ph.D student- part one

The rants of a Ph.D student is hopefully a long series of write ups that I hope to give on what life as a Ph.D student is. I had refrained from writing about this for quite a while but then I think there does come a point where you end up pondering about life, the universe and everything. This point is when you have one of those days when the sun rises in the west, little puppies are no longer cute and you rather eat stale food from three days ago then cook afresh. And this is also when Doctorate meets philosophy.

A series of unfortunate incidents that took place yesterday leave me in this strange predicament. I had not one, but two failed experiments due to sheer incompetence. And when such incidents happen it is best to find solace in reason than in rage. I think about the day and I learn my lesson. I think this is key to several more of these kind of days I will have. Never do an experiment when you don't feel like doing it. I can see the eyebrows raised and wondering about all the exceptions to this rule that my dear reader conjures up. But yes, they are exceptions. There will be days when you wont have a choice and have to stick around in the lab until you start hallucinating. I can only offer my deep felt condolences to such days. But then the lesson is that when you can postpone the experiment, do so with no guilt. (This of course doesnt apply if you feel like this everytime you wake up!) There will be other days and longer hours in the night when you can make it up. At least for me what happened was that I pursued my experiments in spite of being brain dead and all of them failed miserably. The nature of my present work is such that it might mean losing the entire week. All for want of a nail.........

I reached the point where the voice in my head screamed for me to stop. I closed shop and headed to the nearest Chinese eat out and then followed it up with a super Banana split. Its hard to forget the disaster which was yesterday but then the fact is that it is important to forget and move on. Today seems a lot more hopeful. It was raining for a bit but then its back to being bright and sunny - as metaphorical as it may sound, I live in a place where climate change is real (An Inconvenient truth- Al Gore)

I'm quite sure it wont be long before my next rant and well, a new lesson well learnt.

P.S.

Other interesting rants I have read:

Suhasni's rants about her research (link)


5 Comments:

  • well, my day yday was like that! ended up doing nothing but watching movies! :D...No guilt!!

    By Blogger Vignesh, at 7:33 PM  

  • dude...tell me one day in your life of 22 years on planet earth that you feel do not feel like eating/talking about some sort of food man.....food is everpresent in your conversations and writings

    By Anonymous Rajanad, at 11:28 PM  

  • Nice one kaushik...though am not into research....but you are preparing me before i get into...:)

    By Blogger Padma, at 7:07 AM  

  • Vignesh, all I can say is well done mate! You are now following the path of the righteous

    Raj, no comments. :P

    Padma, all the best!!

    By Blogger Kaushik, at 7:56 AM  

  • You haven't failed, You've found 10,000 ways that don't work. :)

    By Anonymous SG, at 6:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home